Hey gang, long time, no feed!
I won’t belabor the point here–life is just busy. Work is nuts but necessary. Ministry is awesome and heavy. Marriage and parenting are a joy and a challenge. But I can’t leave you forever, faithful reader (and/or occasional reader who forgot they subscribed to my email updates)!
I have a book review or two I’m eager to post, as well as some content from sermons I got to preach this summer, but for now, let’s just ease back into the swing of things with a few fun links and notes on this late-summer afternoon:
- I’ve been really enjoying two nostalgiarrific TV retrospective podcasts for the last month or so: Talkville Podcast (featuring Michael Rosenbaum and Tom Welling, the Lex Luthor and Clark Kent of Smallville) and Pod Meets World (featuring Danielle Fishel, Rider Strong, and Will Friedel, a.k.a. Topanga, Shawn, and Eric from Boy Meets World). These were probably my 2 favorite TV shows from my teens and twenties, so the 20+ year retrospectives are a delightful recap and look behind the scenes. If you’re a fan of either program, you gotta check them out.
- Speaking of 20-year nostalgia, this retro love letter to Goldeneye-style N64 gaming looks doooooooooope. Too bad, I don’t have a decent computer to game on (or time to play it). Oh well. Still cool.
- I haven’t seen the latest season of Stranger Things (no Netflix, so I’m waiting for the library to get a copy), but I have picked up enough little bits and pieces from social media to know that it’s the creepiest season thusfar. I thought this live video of Twentyone Pilots opening with a ST-inspired version of “Heathens” in a recent concert in Romania was pretty neat. (Creepy imagery from the show, so if you’re sensitive to such, pass on the video.)
- A couple of years ago, I mentioned on Twitter that the one cover I’ve been looking for but could never find was a good up-tempo ska version of “Don’t Look Back in Anger” by Oasis. (Look, sometimes I get these weird ideas in my head, but you KNOW it totally works as a concept.) Turns out, a Mexican ska band called The Big Browns recorded a “rock-steady” version that is pretty chill and fun. Not *quite* what I was wishing for, but still well done. And if you play the video at 1.5x speed, you get a better sense of the masterpiece that sadly still only exists in my imagination.
- Currently reading: Man, a lot of things. Several theology books, but my current fun reading is The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie, the first Poirot mystery. I decided I’d try to read through the top 10 Poirot novels as judged by the folks at AgathaChristie.com. This is my fourth in the list (after Orient, Nile, and Ackroyd), but I did watch a film adaptation of The ABC Murders so I may skip that one on the list. With a bookshelf and reading list full of heavy tomes and heavier topics, it’s nice to have something light and fun to dip into.
That’s all I have at the moment. No promises of a new posting schedule (you know how I can be), but I will say that yeah, I’m thinking I’m back. So we’ll see what kind of hijinks we can get into here in the second half of 2022. See you soon!